Saturday 27 June 2009

Reality Check

Back in London after a truly immense week in Tenerife.

Was quite easily the best week I have ever had, day after day it just got better. Unfortunately by the end I was physically drained...all the early starts with work and all nighters in Tenerife caught up with me come Wednesday.

Thought a lot about it in the 24 hours that I have been back, which I guess is pretty standard having just got back from holiday. However, during that time I had a couple of conversations with a couple of different mates that touched on the fact that I have "grown up" a bit early. Living with girlfriend at 20, privately renting my own flat, working 8.30-7pm in a business consultancy firm, putting money aside for various ventures I would like to implement. Thinking about the future. The feedback from those mates was generally positive and perhaps admirable.

However, I have since had a similar conversation with the mrs, she has no idea where she will be in a years time or two, thus putting the future of our relationship in complete jeopardy and uncertainty. I took this as a complete insult as I am effectively working 10 hour days to enable us to live together (obv for my own gain too but without me working we wouldn't be living together. Too long a story to explain...) I have made two MASSIVE, life-changing decisions based on her. Am I a mug I thought? Am I a nit and thinking too far ahead and should live for today?

Well, I have now been sitting listening to boom boom shake shake now drop for the past hour and come up with a few more short term plans.

1) Last week saw me be the happiest I have been since Brighton, July 2007, arguably.
2) I have seen my mates as a group like that less than 5 times since then
3) My brother is 15 and his mates are more of a brother to him
4) I rarely see my parents and I used to be INSANELY family orientated
5) My parents moved house in Dec 2008 and I have stayed in that house for less than 13 nights and never consecutively for more than 4 (worked it out)
6) Effort > Reward in terms of my relationship. I also put in more than she does (arrogant)


Basically, I am going to think some more over the next week so its not a knee-jerk reaction but I am SERIOUSLY considering jacking in work this week, working my notice, ending tenancy on flat (perhaps) or just paying for it and being skint and fucking off back home to Shropshire to see family and mates, those that matter. London mates are temporary and are effectively a poor substitute.

I am 20, practically. I will never be 20 again. Guess thats the bottom line.

On the poker front, did alright sn the home games, up until the last game, which had a higher buy in, putting me into a minor minor loss for the week. Plus note is that Jon won. Not sure how thats a plus for me but whatever!
Weren't quite as intent or proper as they once were but they were a laugh nonetheless.
Gonna try and satellite into a few sunday majors tomorrow and then play a few hands on ze cash.

Otherwise, nothing to report! GL

2 comments:

  1. good post!
    it definately annoys me that you are never in shropshire, everyone will be coming back and you say we are never together as a group, but we are...in taste of paradise everyone got together for a meal and there were a few nights out over easter and over xmas. but you are the one not there! thats not an insult, im just saying that you would have loved those nights and its a shame because i imagine at those moments you were with melina or whatever and as happy as she makes you...we can make you happier on occasion.

    and yeh seeing as you are massively family orientated, why not go spend more time with them? i guarantee everyone in our group would class shropshire as their home apart from you (and possibly jack, but thats coz he has had so many different homes with so many different people)..but why is that the case? you are 20 and you shouldnt have a home in the centre of london that involves no1 but you and ur girlfriend...imo. so get home more, see ur long term mates more, enjoy urself more.

    you can take all this as an insult, i dont mind, but i think you should read it as me trying 2 help out.

    ReplyDelete