Monday 8 June 2009

History

Ok, rewind.

I basically got into poker through home games, which showed modest success for me. I imagine I was up about £150-180 from £5-£15 games with 6/7 players over late 2006-2007.
Things progressed from there and I then started playing at Riley's. I played 3/4 times I think and made the final table once, cashing for about £50, from a £10 buy-in.

Soon after I made my first deposit online and this quickly developed in to trying out multiple sites. However, I never really made a substantial deposit or took it seriously. I made a few £20 deposits here and there, with the majority just wasted being stupid. A year into it I made a "big" deposit on Stars, it was only £100. Again, it pretty much went to waste.
At the start of 2008 I imagine I was down £400 or so, at a guess.

I then put £100 on DTD and swore I would make a profit from poker in 2008. I also put $25 on Everest.
I grinded the Everest roll up until I couldn't stand the site anymore. I withdrew $400 from Everest. Nice!
DTD..spanked the £100 but deposited another £100. In June 2008 I withdrew £550 from DTD and it paid for a summer holiday with my girlfriend. That gave me a massive sense of achievement as it was the first time poker did something for me.

During that period I also went to the Vic twice. First time I left the £80 I went in with, there! BUSTO! Second time I turned £70 into £235, via 50/1.
I also FT bubbled £30 F/Os there, twice!!! Damn it.

The relative success had its downsides. I failed my first year in uni, through a combination of reasons but one big one was my determination to play poker. Idiot. Along with the many pain in the backsides from that...it meant I couldn't actually play poker over the summer anyway so everything was a waste. I managed to final table a tournament at Ricoh Arena however, but unfortunately only made a min cash really.

September came round and I was back on it. Between September 2008 and now, I am up about £600 from the Vic, as mentioned before. I had two Stars rolls of about $500 and came 4th in a little £2 mtt on DTD for a few quid. Other than thats its generally been quiet and nothing to speak of other than murdering the uni society games for £30-50 a week! (15 runners, £5r)
I have basically had eighteen months of making a quick buck, withdrawing, spending it on nights out, then going back for me but losing. etc etc etc, going round in circles.

I think I am probably break-even from poker, if I am up, its not by much and likewise if I am down. However, when I have got on the grind I have proven I can beat it, approx 20,000 hands at 10Nl and my winrate is 10BB/100, thats how I got one of the rolls on Stars. When I take a tournament seriously, I do well. But too often I just enter, hope to run good and luckbox my way to a roll.

Shame on me.

Anyway, thats a bit of the history and how I got to where I am. Now I am doing this, there are many people I have spoken to or heard of through others and I guess I admire their attitude towards poker and give me something to aspire to.
Now its my turn.

1 comment: